Now that the weather has started to turn warmer, it’s easier to spend more time outside. But soaking in some rays is not only an enjoyable way to spend the day, it can also have numerous health benefits, including a significant impact on your mental health
Now that the weather has started to turn warmer, it’s easier to spend more time outside. But soaking in some rays is not only an enjoyable way to spend the day, it can also have numerous health benefits, including a significant impact on your mental health. Spending time outdoors has been shown to help the symptoms of depression and other psychological ailments. So go outside today!
Benefits of Spending Time Outside
Here are some of the most significant health benefits you can reap by spending time out of doors:
- Lowers Blood Pressure. Being outside and engaging in even minor exercise, such as walking around, can help lower blood pressure.
- Promotes Better Sleep. Sunlight affects your body’s circadian rhythms, allowing you to get better sleep. By spending time in the sun, you’ll feel more tired at night and get a better quality of sleep than if you simply stayed indoors.
- Boosts Immune Function. If you go outside, it gives your immune system a chance to expose itself to non-dangerous microorganisms. This helps prepare your body for more serious infections and strengthens your immune system. In addition, air circulation can dilute the presence of viruses and make it harder to contract a disease.
- Reduces Symptoms of Depression. Although experts aren’t sure exactly why sunlight is so good for your mental health, exposure to the sun has been shown to combat the symptoms of depression. In addition, simply being outside can invoke feelings of happiness which can also lessen negative mental health symptoms.
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety. While most people’s daily lives are filled with nearly unlimited amounts of stimuli, getting out in nature and walking around can be a peaceful respite. The constant inundation of information in your everyday routine can cause high levels of stress and anxiety, so taking a break from these stimuli is a great way to rebalance your mind and nervous system.
If your mental health is suffering or if you’re feeling the symptoms of depression or anxiety, Aloha Integrative Health offers a range of possible solutions. Whether it’s our comprehensive psychology services, or treatments such as transcranial magnetic stimulation or ketamine infusion therapy, we’re here to help. Request a consultation today!
REQUEST A CONSULTATION